The Los Angeles Unified School District is providing computer network and Internet access for its students. This service allows students to share information, learn new concepts, research diverse subjects, and create and maintain school-based websites.
Every year, any student who wants computer network and Internet access for that upcoming school year must sign and submit an Acceptable Use Policy. Students who are under 18 must also have their parent or guardian sign this policy. By signing this agreement, the student, and parent or guardian agree to follow the rules set forth in this Policy and to report any misuse of the computer network or the Internet to a teacher or supervisor.
UNACCEPTABLE USES OF THE COMPUTER NETWORK OR THE INTERNET
The following uses of the account provided by the school district are unacceptable:
- Selling or purchasing any illegal substance;
- Accessing, transmitting, or downloading child pornography, obscene depictions, harmful materials, or materials that encourage others to violate the law.
- Transmitting or downloading confidential information or copyrighted materials.
- Uses that involve obtaining and or using an anonymous e-mail site.
- Uses that cause harm to others or damage to their property are unacceptable.
Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to the following:
- Deleting, copying, modifying, or forging other users e-mails, files, or data;
- Accessing another users email without their permission;
- Damaging computer equipment, files, data or the network;
- Using profane, abusive, or impolite language;
- Disguising one's identity, impersonating other users, or sending anonymous e-mail messages.
- Threatening, harassing, or making defamatory or false statements about others;
- Accessing, transmitting, or downloading offensive, harassing, or disparaging materials;
- Accessing, transmitting or downloading computer viruses or other harmful files or programs, or in any way degrading or disrupting any computer system performance;
- Accessing, transmitting or downloading large files, including "chain letters" or any type of "pyramid schemes."
- Using any district computer to pursue hacking, internal or external to the district, or attempting to access information that is protected by privacy laws.
- Uses that jeopardize access or lead to unauthorized access into accounts or other computer networks are unacceptable.
- Commercial uses of the school network are unacceptable.